- Filmmaker Ava DuVernay made headlines when she hired all-female directors for the first season of Queen Sugar.Â
- And now, sheâ€™s making even more:Â
- Two of the directors for the showâ€™s 2nd season, Cheryl Dunye and Aurora Guerrero, are award-winning filmmakers and also queer women of color.
- Dunye is a black lesbian filmmaker best known for the 1996 film The Watermelon Woman, the first feature film directed by a black lesbian.
- Guerrero is a queer Chicana filmmaker whose 2012 feature Mosquita y Mari follows two high school girls who fall in love with one another while navigating life in Latino Los Angeles. Read more (3/20/17 11:30 AM)